Monday, October 10, 2011

Seed Beads - A Quick Guide

I get emailed many questions on Facebook, asking me bead questions, and while I do not mind at all answering you individually, I figured it would be easier for everyone if I put up a quick reference guide.   :)

FAQ:
1. What is a seed bead?
"Seed Bead" is a generic term for any small bead. They can range in size from under a millimeter to several millimeters. There are many shapes and styles of seed beads - such as Round, Cylinder (also known as Delica), Hexagon, and Bugle, just to name a few! They can be used in many crafts, suck as loom bead weaving, or beaded wire sculptures.







Here is an easy to reference chart of seed bead sizes, illustrated. I have a copy printed out and up on my project board.





2. How many beads do I get if I buy per loose package? How many beads are in a tube?
A typical package of seed beads can range from 5 to 40 grams, depending on the size of bead.Check the bead seller's catalog or sample card for the gram weight of their packages.



Here is an easy to reference chart of bead sizes (approximate).
Here is an easy to reference chart of beads per gram (approximate).

3. What the heck is a hank?
Hanks are loops of beads temporarily strung on thin cotton strands.

4. How many strings in a hank?
Hanks usually come in 12 strands, or 6 (half hank). Some other cut-beads may have fewer strands. Check the bead seller's catalog or sample card for the quantities they represent.


No comments: